So you may be asking, "But, how does cooking build speech and language skills?" Here are 5 ways that cooking can be a toddler speech and language enriching activity:
- Builds vocabulary - targets items found in the kitchen
- Demonstrates action words - focus on simple actions such as open, cut, cook, eat, bake, stir, etc.
- Teaches your toddler to take turns - alternate taking turns stirring, pouring, etc.
- Helps your toddler learn to follow one, two, and even three step directions - example: open, pour, stir
- Increases conversation skills - talk about how the dish smells, tastes, and looks
Do you want some easy recipes that you can make with your toddler? Try these out for a yummy and educational treat!
To learn more speech and language tips to help your toddler talk and communicate faster, be sure to check out my book on Amazon Kindle, Talking With Todders - 52 Tips to Boost Speech and Language Skills.